What is the job of your front desk employee? If you ask them, my guess is that nothing on their list of responsibilities would include making you money. It would probably look like this:
- Answer the phone
- Mail batteries
- Take messages
- Enter data into the computer
- Recall patients
If this is the case (and I’m sure that it is), it’s time for an employee/employer chat. The majority of practice owners want to make money. The majority of front desk employees want to get paid to do their job.
Make it clear to everyone you employ that your number one goal and therefore their number one goal (while employed by you) is to make sure that your practice is as profitable as is humanly possible. The concept may seem simplistic, but the goal should be to change the mindset of your employee’s so the next time you ask them for a list of their responsibilities it’ll should look like this:
- Answer the phone and make an appointment or solve a problem
- Mail batteries – as quickly as possible to increase patient satisfaction
- Take messages and make sure they get to the correct person and make sure all calls are returned.
- Enter data into the computer making sure that the information is complete, accurate and up to date.
- Recall patients with a plan to exceed the required monthly goal.
In a perfect world you wouldn’t need to explain the primary goal of your business. We don’t live in a perfect world, so take the time to make it clear to your staff what’s important to you.